What To Do In Case Of Food Poisoning

by - October 19, 2010

You found leftover food inside the fridge and reheated it inside the microwave. Upon eating, you noticed that the taste is a little different from the way it has been. You thought that since the food was inside the fridge for several days already and was reheated, it might not taste the same as it was. You were hungry so you decided to continue eating. After a couple of hours, you felt sick and your stomach felt bad, too. Then you started a visit in the comfort room. Few minutes later, you feel the urge to use the restroom again. These visits became so frequent that you do not want to leave the john anymore. A little later, you start to feel nauseous and you begin vomiting. This might be a case of food poisoning.

Food poisoning is caused by eating food contaminated with germs like bad bacteria and toxins. Unwashed vegetables, poorly cooked meat and raw foods can cause food poisoning. Improper handling and poor sanitation during food preparation can also bring about food poisoning. If you suffer from this, here is what you can do.

Re-hydrate. When you are suffering from diarrhea due to food poisoning, you are most likely to get de-hydrated. It is then best to keep a back up of the fluids that might be lost during the process. Drink a lot of water followed by clear liquids like apple juice to keep you hydrated. Diarrhea and vomiting may cause electrolytes (potassium, sodium and glucose) in your body to be flushed away. It is advisable to replace them with commercially prepared electrolyte products.

Just go with the flow. Your body is trying flush out the toxins you have eaten that is why you are suffering from diarrhea. Taking anti-diarrheal products should be avoided because what you need to do at this time is to eliminate the toxins in your body.

If you feel the hungry or a necessity to take something, consult your doctor to know what foods to eat and not to eat.

In general, the symptoms of food poisoning subside after a few days and after your body is able to get rid of all the toxins you have eaten. Then, you can go without treatment. However, in cases of severe food poisoning, it is best to seek medical attention.By Amy M Chan

You May Also Like